Sunday, February 27, 2011

Square Blankets in the Round

Recently knitted these baby blankets.


Recently as in started the Pink one in October and finished the Blue one last week. They weren't a very fast project.

I got my inspiration while making these American Girl Ponchos.



They were knitted in the round, and when I would lay them out to block them I realized they made perfect squares. I've made several types of baby blankets in the past and I've always been frustrated because the shaping just doesn't seem right. I had some success knitting diagonally, corner to corner. Decided to give the knitting in the round from the center out a try. I like the way they turned out.


The first blanket I knitted in this style was for a friends shower. I liked the way it turned out so well that I decided I need to make both a pink and blue to have on hand.



The biggest drawback to knitting them this way is that about halfway through it gets very tedious. Especially the last several rows. Since it's knitted in the round each time it takes longer to get all the way around. In the beginning it goes by fast, and you feel like you're making a lot of progress, but then it slows way down and the last few rows take forever.

No comments: