Saturday, March 29, 2008

NEW IDEAS

It's been awhile since I updated. I've been busy. I took a trip to Georgia, and am starting to get ready for my Bike Racing season.

I'm also branching out in my creative efforts. In addition to knitting I'm going to start with two other types of crafts - Glass Magnets, and recycled bike parts.

I've purchased some glass magnets from other etsy sellers, and love them. I was looking at them the other day and realized I could probably do that. I've purchased the materials, and have made a couple, but I'm still experimenting with glues. I don't like the glue I have, and have ordered a different type that will work a little better.

I'm also going to try to make things out of recycled bike parts. I got the idea when I saw a bowl on the internet that was made out of a bike chain. They were charging $80 for it which I thought was a little extreme. I recently replaced the chain on my Surly and I thought I'd see if I could be creative with it. I'm not sure how this will go. But there are so many things you can do with old chains, I'm thinking about picture frames, candle holders, magnets, and whatever else I can think off. I decided I needed more chains, so I put an ad on the MMBA and got some responses. Velo City Bike Shop said I could have all the chains they had, so I made a trip out there yesterday to pick them up. While I was there I told them what I would be doing with them, and they offered to keep saving them for me. They're also going to save other bike parts that I might be able to use. They like the idea of recycling them. So hopefully with the stuff I get from them I'll come up with some interesting art projects. It might be awhile before I have anything to show for my efforts. I have to do some experimenting.


Potential Art?

No comments: